Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: kernel panic [linux 2.2.19-7] on UDP scan CP4.1-SP5

From: Olaf Kirch <okir () caldera de>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:39:51 +0100

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:27:48AM -0500, Yanek Korff wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case.  If a table were being filled
up, I'd expect the FW to stay up for some period of time before eventually
crashing.  Here are some relevant facts:

1. Linux FW crashes -immediately- before it has the opportunity to log a udp
packet with tcpdump
2. Scans complete successfully against NT 4.0 and Solaris-x86

There was a problem (kernel lockup) with certain types of UDP packets a few
months ago (it could be though that happened only for locally generated
packets). All vendors released fixes for these. Could be the scan checks
for this vul. Check your vendor's security page for details.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir () monad swb de  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax