Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: kernel panic [linux 2.2.19-7] on UDP scan CP4.1-SP5

From: Yanek Korff <yanek () cigital com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:30:31 -0500

Meaning it crashes?  Seems strange, you'd think Checkpoint would have
tried a UDP packet before they shipped...

Can anyone else confirm the results?
Indeed, I'd love if someone could do more testing.  I've blown away my RH7
install, and am working on 6.2 right now -- bad kernel (Default).  So far no
remote udp crashes.  Haven't done much configuration yet, though.

If I run nslookup on nmap_source, set my server to
fw_under_test, and
attempt to resolve something (even though fw_under_test is
not running a
nameserver), the fw_under_test does not crash.  It merely
replies with udp
port unreachable and stays up.

Must be something in particular with the conetns of the
packet NMAP sends.
According to nmap man pages, it sends 0 byte udp datagrams.

-Yanek.