Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: URGENT--Vulnerability Assessment Market

From: Mark Teicher <mark.teicher () NETWORKICE COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:10:38 -0800

To quote from the movie " A Few Good Men":

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded
by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have
a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for
Santiago and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the
luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic,
probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and
incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because,
deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that
wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We
use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You
use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to
explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very
freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.
I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I
suggest you pick up a weapon and stand at post. Either way, I don't give a
damn what you think you are entitled to."
Col. Nathan R. Jessup

Not that extreme, but watching consoles is not very rewarding..  :) and you
really think quality infosec folks are really going to watch consoles all
day long with the same vigor they put into researching Palm exploits or
writing bathroom reading technical books.

-:)

At 08:53 AM 3/6/01 -0500, Drew Simonis wrote:
Ray W wrote:

> Well,
>
> If what @Stake writes is true, we should all be making about
> $10.00 an hour as Network Security Guards in the next few years.
>
> That's a comforting thought.....

The Security Guards will be the scope dopes who watch consoles
all day.  Not much skill, helpdesk stuff really.  There will still
be high pay for implementation, design, etc..  At least I hope.