Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Modern hw-killing virus feasible

From: Vortex <vortex () CAFFEINE ORG UK>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 19:18:41 GMT

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:56:32 -0800, you wrote:
The old Commodore 1541 drives only had about 30-odd tracks, but
the command for what track to send to took a full byte.  It
was trivial to write a short program to send the head to track 255.
This required opening the drive case and pulling the head
back into the normal area.  Of course, these drives could also
be programmed to play music by vibrating a different pitches....
I used to have a program that would play "East Side, West Side"
on the drive.
<snip>
But, in short, my opinion is that software can cause permanent
(have to replace atoms to fix) damage, under the exact
right circumstances.
<snip>

Along the lines of read heads and music, Sony Minidisc players (and I
assume other modern audio devices) can be put into an engineering mode
where the heads can be realigned - it's possible to make the unit
unable to read any MD discs (except ones recorded on that device??),
and I believe, cause permanent damage to the unit.

--
vortex at caffeine dot org dot uk :: http://www2.caffeine.org.uk/~vortex/