Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Modern hw-killing virus feasible

From: Syzop <syz () DDS NL>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 20:21:14 +0100

"Juan M. Courcoul" wrote:

*I* know how to fix such problems, but if I had my BIOS flashed,
for all intents and purposes, I would be buying a new board too
most likely because I don't have ready steady access to a EPROM
flasher, not to mention the time and effort involved in trying to
track down a copy of a rom - and thus time == money, yada yada.

Nope, a new board is basically your only option. Unless EEPROM technology
changed significantly since I last checked, you cannot flash the chip "on the
board", cause the rest of the electronics will act up and introduce an error
factor.

-- snip --

I don't know if more vendors have this, but I've an Intel motherboard and you
can flash the EEPROM, but if something 'went wrong' you can restore the original
bios by switching a jumper, the computer will then boot (with almost nothing,
ie: no video) and restore the bios from a floppy.
This is because (IIRC) a small part of the BIOS isn't flashable (ROM).

    Syzop.