Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: icq 2000 ads

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:54:14 -0800

percival () NS1 DEVNULL NL wrote:

Side note - Some people have told me that this is 'offtopic', well I agree it is. But the initial reason for my post
was my concern about (possibly) personal information being sent to mirabilis/aol behind our backs. Which I think is
on-topic and concerns us all.

Indeed it is.  I wanted folks to explore the spyware aspect.  I consider
spyware to be a security problem.  Adware is not, unless there's an
implementation problem.  Doesn't look like there's any spyware here.

So, I'll be dropping any more posts regarding how to disable the
ads, etc.. there has been sufficient info posted to the list
if you want to try that.

If anyone does any exploration on how an attacker can trigger
the auto-update themselves, that will be on-topic, and I'd
like to see that.

                                        BB