Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Micro$oft wants to dominate the world!??

From: Martin Sunnerdahl <martin.sunnerdahl () soc lu se>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:55:59 +0200

At 14.18 +0100 01-08-28, Gareth Jones wrote:
My question is: is it possible to edit some dll/exe/whatever to remove
this behavior (so apart from methods like adding your own
auto.search.msn.com
record in your dns server [or hosts] and firewalling the whole msn stuff).

Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Do not search from the Address bar.

PSS: Some users (including me) are panicing and switching (back) to NS.

The last version of netscape I used was 4.7, I'm pretty sure it did
something similar. Certainly Konqueror and Mozilla do, and, as with IE, it
is pretty easy to turn the feature off.

I think you might have misunderstood the man. Try typing some non-existing webadress such as "www.kruugly.com" into
your address bar. The results:
Netscape: "Netscape is unable to locate the server"
IE 5 (macintosh): "The specified server could not be found"
IE 5 (win): BRINGS UP A NEW PAGE AT SEARCH.MSN.COM

However, I don't think it's a biggie. Please end this thread. It's certain that Microsoft has a strange arcane agenda,
but that should be news to noone;)

cheers,

//Martin