Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: \'useradd -p\' problems.

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:24:20 -0700

OK, now I'm getting notes from people pointing out that it IS in
shadow, if I would just read the note properly.  Had I caught that,
the first post would not have gone through.

doh.

                                BB

Blue Boar wrote:

joetesta () hushmail com wrote:

    On my Trustix 1.2 box, I noticed that creating a user with 'useradd' and
the '-p' option (which gives the new user a default password) does not hash
the password in /etc/shadow:

Many people are sending messages to the effect of RTFM.  The way I read
the query, he's wondering why it's not going directly into shadow,
not why doesn't it hash properly.

                                        BB