Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: SSL & IDS

From: "Bluefish (P.Magnusson)" <11a () GMX NET>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 20:35:53 +0200

That's interesting... because I'm seeing a lot of people get excited
about load balancers from a variety of vendors, and terminating the
SSL at some SSL acceleration HW on the load balancer and having

IMHO, designers must carefully verify that:
 1. nothing except the webserver (and possibly an IDS) recieves the
    unencrypted data. [place them in the same room sounds like the best
    idea]

 2. that there is no way to fool or by misstake access the same webserver
    without the use of ssl. Alas, https://secured.example.com shouldn't be
    possible to access as http://secure.example.com.

If those requirements are met, I can't name one mayor disadvantage by the
setup.

Come to think of it, is anyone aware of any attempts to take an hardware
accelerator (the ones which works as add-on PCI cards) and use them to
speed up SSL processing in an IDS? If implemented correctly, the IDS
should be able to do crypto-things far beyond any software based
solution...

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team