Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: SSL & IDS

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () WIREX COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:29:01 -0700

Roelof Temmingh wrote:

I am working on an article-thingy, and while writing I stumbled across
this: IDS & SSL does not work together well...wow! (this was a joke).
Even if you put an IDS on the same platform as the webserver it would not
work. How should this be addressed? Is it addressed in some way by the ppl on
the IDS mailling list? I did a -=very=- quick search for SSL and IDS and didnt
really get anything.

The problem is more general than that:  *network* IDS's fail in the presence of
any kind of network crypto (host-based IDS's are unaffected).  This problem is
more commonly stated as IDS's vs. VPNs.  VPNs (i.e. IPSec, PPTP (blech)) make
life even harder on a network IDS than SSL does.

I have some ideas of how one can try to solve it, but I dont want to barge
into other ppl's territory.

I'm very interested in hearing your ideas.  Particularly since I don't believe
the problem is solvable :-)

Yeah, I know .. its prolly not the best list for the discussion.

I can't think of a strictly better list to have the discussion on.  These kinds
of discussions happen on security-audit, but it is OT there, too.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Research Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com