Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CGI scripts in sh

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () WIREX COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 00:56:46 -0700

Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

In my case, I can't code safely in C - it feels like crawling through a
minefield and looking for mines. C++ is much better, but it still gets
dangerous when you have to reenter the C minefield areas!

That's the core problem with C++:  it *seems* safer, but it isn't.

C is like a sharp double edged sword, no handle :).

C++ is like a sharp double edged sword with a removable handle - and
sometimes you need to remove the handle to use it.

C is like a straight razor:  hard to use.

C++ is like a razor hidden inside an apple.

Perl is like a swiss army knife. There are lots of blades for doing
different stuff, slicing, dicing and even writing poetry and then killing
yourself. Almost any idiot can use a swiss army knife (and lots do ;) ).

Java is like a somewhat sharp space-age plastic sword. Yes, there's a
handle, and no, you can't remove it. Tons of people are being certified to
use it.

And His Majesty is like a stream of bat's piss :-)  Young'uns who don't get the
joke can see the source here  http://www.montypython.net/scripts/oscar.php3

Analogies are fun, but they mainly useful for conveying understanding.  They
don't prove much, because you have to show that the topic being discussed and
the analogous thing actually share the property you're claiming.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Research Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com