Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

IE autosearch

From: Backup <backup () NLS NET>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:21:16 -0400

This morning I found something weird and was hoping someone here would know
how to change this. I consider this a security issue since I don't seem to
have any control over my browser telling this site what I'm searching for.

IE 5.5 current build.

I've changed all my search and autosearch settings to use yahoo. I've also
set all scripting to "prompt".

Ok so this morning I mispell a url, I typed in www.southantq.com and up pops
a script prompt which I clicked no on. Now in my address bar I see
http://auto.search.msn.com/response.asp?MT=www.southantq.com&srch=1&prov=yah
o&utf8

where the heck is this coming from? I've searched the registry for
"auto.search" but nothing shows up. It's gotta be stored somewhere, anyone
know where?

Geo.