Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Serv-U FTP deals makes connections with www.cat-soft.com

From: Dimitry Andric <dim () XS4ALL NL>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:27:47 +0200

On 2000-09-21 at 21:38 [ KoSaK ] wrote:

I was sniffing my Network connections with Win98 station when i saw
in the results that
my Serv-U FTP Server was dealing with http://www.cat-soft.com
I think Serv-U is a sneak.
Can someone tell me more about this ?

Quoting from the Serv-U FTP Server Read Me:

<quote>
TRY-OUT
=======
FTP Serv-U is shareware, which means you can try it before you decide
register (or not). Feel free to pass the try-out version around, but
please
do not distribute any registration keys. The 45 day try-out version
comes in
two flavors, one of which can be chosen during the first start-up:
Either a
fully functional version that contacts a permission server to enforce
the 45
days of try-out, or, a slightly crippled version that does not
contact the
permission server.
</quote>

When you first start Serv-U, you get a really big, very explicit
dialog which explains all this, and lets you choose between fully
functional (but contacting a permission server to enforce the time
limit), or crippled (and not contacting anything). You should really
read this stuff before you click "I Agree". ;-)

So there you have it, you probably chose the fully functional
version, which contacts its permission server, as it announced quite
clearly. Whether such practices are ethical or not, is matter of much
debate/flaming, but not really ontopic, I'd guess.

Btw, registered versions of Serv-U don't contact anything at all, so
it seems. The program is pretty good, as Win32 shareware goes, and
isn't even expensive, so you might even consider buying it. ;-) (No
no, I'm not endorsing, etc. If you want to save money just get a
Linux/*BSD FTP server.)

Cheers,
- --
Dimitry Andric <dim () xs4all nl>
PGP key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~dim/dim.asc
KeyID: 4096/1024-0x2E2096A3
Fingerprint: 7AB4 62D2 CE35 FC6D 4239 4FCD B05E A30A 2E20 96A3