Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ICQ Spoofing Question (or second dumb question of the day)

From: Riley Hassell <riley () SPEAKEASY NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:11:22 -0700

There are also various buffer-overflows in many of the chat clients.

The trick is avoiding the server. The server does almost all of the sanity
checks for Client->Server->Client chat protocols. If you can send a msg
to the Client directly, avoiding the Server totally, you can do all sorts
of crazy things.

I found an overflow in micq quite some time ago involving the url comment
field. Check the source... It's still there.

If you look through the various client's you'll notice all sorts of
security problems. The coders don't expect you to bypass the server.

Fortunatley, writing raw packets is not for the weak hearted. Therefor
this area hasn't really been explored by the script-kiddie alike.

  Riley Hassell
  Tier 3 - Abuse Mail
  Speakeasy Network
  Phone : 206-728-9770