Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ICQ Spoofing Question (or second dumb question of the day)

From: dis <dis () DISLOCATED NET>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:04:56 -0400

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Robert van der Meulen wrote:

I remember a public statement they once stated someone had hacked icq
accounts via a trojan JPEG image, uhh, yeah, ok (r33t).
I'm curious about how they did _that_ :) don't recall reading anything about
that...

maybe it was really something like lame.jpg.exe (which could possibly
fool REALLY dumb windows users who (a) have full filenames disabled,
(b) see the faux .jpg extension, forget they have full filenames disabled,
don't pay attention to the file's icon, and/or (c) werent paying
attention at any point when it did happen to show the full filename.

wasn't something similar done with the love bug "virus"?
(what was it, love-letter-for-you.txt.vbs?)

(slightly off topic, but, i have yet to see someone rant about this
anywhere.  hiding filename extensions is a pointless and potentially evil
option.)

-dis