Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: smurf (stupid question)

From: alex <alexander.tibbles () PMB OX AC UK>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:43:56 +0100

see Stevens Unix Network Programming (Prentice Hall, 1998),
pages 347:
"What happens if we create a UDP socket, bind port 7 to the
socket (the standard echo [port]...), and send a UDP datagram to a
chargen server?"
and p945-6:
"This is a well-known denial of service attack ([CERT 1996a]). The
first datagram from port 7 causes the chargen server to send a
datagram back to port 7. This is echoed and sends another
datagream to the chargen server. This loop continues. One
solution, implemented in BSD/OS, is to refuse datagrams to any of
the internal servers if the source port of the incoming datagram
belongs to any of the internal servers. Another soltution is to
disable these internal services, either through inetd on each host,
or at an organization's router to the Internet."
[CERT 1996a] is "UDP Port Denial-of-Service Attack" Advisory CA-
96.01, CERT.
ftp://info.cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-96.01.UDP_service_denial

hope that helps: basically, its been done, and chargen and echo
should be firewalled.

alex