Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CGI source being exposed using

From: labu () RUMAH NET (Labu Labi)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 05:58:15 -0000

Hi all :-)
Just for historical purposes.
This problems actually has been addressed by Simple Nomad in
his excellent The Unofficial Web Hack FAQ under section 07
http://www.nmrc.org/faqs/www/wsec07.html

"One vulnerability that I haven't mentioned is looking for
files in /cgi-bin/ with a ~ on the end. If the administrator
was editing change-your-password.pl with a package like
emacs in the /cgi-bin/, there might be a
change-your-password.pl~ backup file that the editor has
created. You may be able to find holes in this code if you
can read it, instead of simply guessing."

Yup, this is really a problem and sometime you might be
surprise on what you can get using this ~ thinggy.

--labu

I have searched SecurityFocus and bugtraq archives to see if
this is a known issue, but did not turn up anything. So, I
will post my questions here.