Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: I love you Author evidence ?

From: tschroed () ZWEKNU ORG (Trevor Schroeder)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 00:52:53 -0400

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 10:16:26PM -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

I just wanted to point out that not all the losses are in terms of
shutdown email.  I know of several of that had their business'
webservers impacted because Windows clients had the machines mounted via
SMB filesharing (the web development group specifically) and the "worm"
deleted the site's .jpg files.

At the risk of continuing an already questionable topic, I'm gonna toss
my own comments:

Where I work got hit, though on a smaller scale, I believe .  One of our
research groups lost 25,000 images, many of which were exported to the
world.  Of course, we could restore off tape, so the damage was minimal.
On the other hand, one user lost about 100 images from a thesis that was
due the next day.  She had no backups.

The numbers arrived at are, IMHO, generally pretty fishy.  However, that
doesn't imply that there aren't real and serious damages.
: "I knew it was going to cost me my head and also my swivel chair, but  :
: I thought: What the hell--better men than I have risked their heads    :
: and their swivel chairs for truth and justice." -- James P. Cannon     :
:........... http://www.zweknu.org/ for PGP key and more ................: