Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: swbell DSL bug ?

From: sarnold () WILLAMETTE EDU (Seth R Arnold)
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 17:56:59 -0700

Ryan, that just means they don't keep good enough track of things --
dhcp servers can be configured to assign leases only for certain MACs.

* Ryan Sweat <batrox () SWBELL NET> [000507 17:13]:
     Southwester Bell is a big provider of dsl access in some parts of the US.  Dhcp provides an IP address and the
lease expires in about 72 hours.  They claim the IP cannot be changed, however when playing around last night, I
found if you install another ethernet card, and switch the cable to the new card, it happily gives you another IP
address.  The dhcp server must rely on mac address when providing a lease for an ip.  This could pose many problems.
How can accounting be kept when a user can change his ip whenever he likes?  I have more testing to do, but I do not
see why you couldnt install a few nic cards and get ip address for each one, which swbell would like to charge you
much more money for.  I am looking into a way to change the mac address in windows. I know it can be done in linux
through ifconfig.  Maybe somone has experience in this ??

batrox () swbell net

--
Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
'Netscape engineers are weenies!' -- Microsoft