Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Capturing System Calls

From: edsel () ADAP ORG (Edsel Adap)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:41:32 -0400

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 04:32:41PM -0400, Whyte, Jesse wrote:
You used to be able to do a limited set of this with sotruss...

Yes. apptrace supercedes sotruss.  They are based on the same
mechanism.  sotruss was 'demo-ware' or proof of concept.
apptrace pretty-prints the arguments to the functions.

And on the subject of changing the behavior of function calls, apptrace
uses what are called interceptor objects.  By replacing those, one can
use apptrace to catch function calls and make them do whatever they
want.