Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Another new worm???

From: MHarmer () MVG COM (Harmer, Mike)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:37:14 -0400

I have to say that I strongly disagree with dear old Dan. However, as others
have covered that slant well enough, I will say something about Virus
Exchange though. This is a little bit from Sophos's Web site. I noticed it
when I was getting the latest identity. They make reference to a REVS
program. It seems that WildList Org. and Sophos have some partnership that
promotes sharing of virus samples. Perhaps you could get fragments from
them, but I have a feeling that it is only open to people that are
"trusted". For some more information see
http://www.us.sophos.com/pressoffice/pressrel/uk/20000427revs.html.

And Dan, I am a sys admin, programmer, DBA. I have no interest in spreading
viruses or creating them, but I do have an interest in the viruses
themselves. I do have copies of LoveLetter that neutered and took apart.
Some viruses have cute tricks, others I get on how to remove them. As for
security through obscurity, come on, hasn't that been covered enough yet.
You can't stop the virus channels, so what do you gain by stooping others? A
bunch of under informed system administrators is what you get.

Michael E. Harmer
Miller-Valentine Group
4000 Miller-Valentine Ct.
Dayton, OH 45439-1487
x804
mharmer () mvg com

In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
--Albert Einstein