Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Capturing System Calls

From: tag () FRAMELOSS ORG (Todd Garrison)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:35:45 -0600

For Linux look at 'strace' and 'ltrace' - of course there is always gdb, for
which there is an excellent book written by Richard Stallman - ISBN
1-882114-76-0

On Solaris look at 'timex' and 'truss'.

Happy reverse-engineering :)

On UNIX Systems, (FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris) is there a way to capture/modify
system calls calls from an application with out modifying the kernel (or
using kernel modules) - preferably in userspace? The reason I ask is that a
group of us are being asked to evaluate a piece of software for my company
but they've put some heavy restrictions on how we do it. One of the
restriction is that we're not allowed to modify the kernel.