Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Novell 32bit Client , Passwords

From: sarnold () WILLAMETTE EDU (Seth R Arnold)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:18:32 -0700

* Michael Sanders <michaels () ebusolutions co za> [000406 08:42]:
Sorry if this has been covered already, does anyone know were the passwords
are cached in the novell client? Ive noticed that when a Novell 4.11 server
goes down and brought back up again the client authenticates with the
correct logon details to the NDS. Is they cached , are the encrypted adn do
they get cleared ?

Michael, it might vary between the microsoft novell client and the
novell novell client (aka intranetware, aka client32) -- but I believe
both of them store the passwords in windows' .pwd files (under 9x) and
in user.dat in the user's profile directory under NT.

As for being encrypted, they are at least obfuscated. They might be
stored encrypted with the user's single-signon password, or they might
be stored in a plain-text equivalence. I honestly don't know, but a
search at MS's KB for "password cache" or "password caching" might turn
up exactly what you want to know.

HTH

--
Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help