Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: local security workaround through IE

From: mhallacy () MERCURY XTRATYME COM (Matthew S. Hallacy)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:33:44 -0500

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, WHiTe VaMPiRe wrote:

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 07:07:23PM +0100, Andrew Bennieston(andrew () BENNIESTON FREESERVE CO UK) wrote:
: Uh, Isn't it easier to boot into safe mode and remove the security that
: way...??

      Well, no.  Say you are at a library; the BIOS is protected by a
password.. place is busy, people around you, librarians watching.. are
you going to be able to open up the case, reset the BIOS (even via other
methods), boot a disk, circumvent the security?  No.

On the PC Chips & Technologies boards that my company sells, you can
merely hold down the END key to clear the BIOS, Award BIOS, MS6380SG
motherboard (matsonic)

[snip]

      No Windows machine is secure, especially if you have physical
access.  Nevertheless, if you are in a monitored area, and the system is
locked moderately tight, it limits your options.

I'd have to go so far as to say that no system that you have real
physical access to is secure, no matter what you do to it, unless it's
highly specialized, and perhaps missing a few keys off the keyboard.

Regards,
---
   /  \    /  \   \ /   / WHiTe VaMPiRe\Rem
   \   \/\/   /\   Y   /  whitevampire () mindless com
    \        /  \     /   http://www.projectgamma.com/
     \__/\  /    \___/    http://www.gammaforce.org/
          \/ "Silly hacker, root is for administrators."