Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: limited functionality accounts (was: Re: History Files)

From: sarnold () WILLAMETTE EDU (Seth R Arnold)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 11:10:51 -0700

* Marc Slemko <marcs () ZNEP COM> [000416 08:45]:
Also be wary of special filesystems such as /proc inside the chrooted
environment.  On some systems, /proc may let you escape a chrooted
environment.  On some OSes (don't think Linux lets you, but I don't know
about that for sure...) /proc lets the user edit memory in programs they
are running.  I don't know if any OS/architecture combinations let you

I believe the answers to this is, "Yes, Linux lets users edit memory" --
the /dev/kmem and /dev/mem devices allow mucking around in memory, and
several linux distributions were shipping with world-writable
permissions on those things. Check bugtraq archives for the exaxt
details.

:)

--
Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help