Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: History Files

From: gavina () CSIS GVSU EDU (gavina () CSIS GVSU EDU)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 19:25:27 -0400

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, audit wrote:

Greeting's,

I admin a few Linux servers and have a question about user's .bash_history
files. The users on the systems keep their history files but I would like
to have what they type logged to /root/history/$user_history
I know that this is not polite on my end or the other co-admin's but we
need to know what our users are doing at all times. These are slackware
boxes and some RedHat boxes.

Thanks

tail -f /home/user/.bash_history > /root/history/user.history

Even if the user has "HISTFILESIZE=0", it will still output the history
when the user logs out.

"In the game of life and evolution there are three players at the table: human
 beings, nature, and machines. I am firmly on the side of nature. But nature,
 I suspect, is on the side of the machines."
                    - George Dyson, "Darwin Among the Machines"