Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Need help cracking wwwboard passwd.txt

From: brush () POL PL (Krzysztof Dabrowski)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:24:00 +0200

Just to let you know,  it uses the same encryption scheme that can be
crack by progs the like of
jack the ripper and cracker jack . It just requires that you format the
text correctly in the standard
unix format.

But you definitely don't have the right to ask for payment, That's just
whack!

Let's just forget about this particular case and concentrate on the meritum.

What is wrong in calling a company , saying: "Your network is preety
vulnerable to every exploit around. Script kiddies are probably hacking you
3 times a day. If you pay me well, i can tell you what's wrong and even fix
it, if you don't , then bye bye and i'm not gonna waste my time".

1. It's not a black mail of any kind cause when they don't cooperate, you
just forget about them.
2. Everything looks legal
3. Maybe it looks a bit like tele marketing, but it MAY work (aspecialy
when you speak with management , not the technical staff).

Just my 2 cents.

Brush