tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump-security] [libpcap] Problem with version 1.9.0

From: Jan Stary <hans () stare cz>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 07:26:07 +0200

On Jul 23 13:30:55, guy () alum mit edu wrote:
On Jul 23, 2018, at 1:04 PM, Jan Stary <hans () stare cz> wrote:

From both a sysadmin and user perspective, I find the GNU autotools
amd CMake a major annoyance. Would you please consider doing what e.g.
http://mandoc.bsd.lv/cgi-bin/cvsweb/configure does?

What advantage would it give us that would make it worth our effort?

A ./configure script like that is (in my experience) much more
readable and writable, and about hundreds of times faster.
It does not depend on autoconf, automake, m4, etc and does not
require the user to install, to run, or to understand the GNU tools.
The produced Makefile.* is a fraction of that produced by auto*.

Please try it out, either with http://mandoc.bsd.lv/ or with
e.g. https://github.com/columbia-irt/rtptools to see for yourself.
Run ./configure and look at config.h and Makefile.*: clean, obvious code.

To quote from http://mandoc.bsd.lv/cgi-bin/cvsweb/INSTALL :

  The mandoc package intentionally does not use GNU autoconf because
  we consider that toolset a blatant example of overengineering that
  is obsolete nowadays, since all modern operating systems are now
  reasonably close to POSIX and do not need arcane shell magic any
  longer.  If your system does need such magic, consider upgrading
  to reasonably modern POSIX-compliant tools rather than asking for
  autoconf-style workarounds.

If you decide to go that way, I am prepared to help with the effort.

        Jan