tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump-security] [libpcap] Problem with version 1.9.0

From: Gert Doering <gert () greenie muc de>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:38:17 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 09:35:30AM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
Let's switch over to cmake as our official mechanism now... i.e. have
travis, etc. use it in preference to configure.

From a sysadmin perspective, I find cmake to be a major annoyance
(because it usually does not exist on systems where I want to install
packages, and if your platform is not "mainstream i386/amd64", there's
quite often no binary packages, so "go out and compile cmake" is it,
then... like, FreeBSD/Sparc64).

I do understand that this is not for me to decide and that you're
fully free to ignore me, but I still wanted to say it so nobody can
say afterwards "hey, we announced this on the list and nobody spoke
up".

(If you say "... use it in preference to configure" and configure stays
around as fallback, I shut up and be happy :-) )

gert

--

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert () greenie muc de