tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: localhost on Solaris

From: ury segal <ury_segal () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:41:34 -0400 (EDT)

OK... Assuming I insist on enabling localhost
sniffing on Solaris to the benerfit of all:
How should I approach it?

How about pushing a STREAMS module on top of the TCP
driver? ( Is *that* a STREAMS driver nowdays?)

--ury

 --- Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com> wrote:
ury segal wrote:
Thanks for the answer!

There is nothing similar to ip_loopback_bypass
in Solaris.

The be all and end all of Unix OSes has no such
thing?!? Imagine :)

When I run netstat -i, I do see packets that
are "passed through" the localhost interface.

Is there a real entity in the kernel which is the
loopback interface, may it be a driver (seems not
be one), STREAMS module, anything?
Does it contain anything beyond statistics ?

I believe that it is nothing more than a figment of
the imagination of the IP
code.  There is no other "real" entity.

Now, what happens if one unplumbs lo0: and assigns
127.0.0.1 to a "real"
interface (say as an alias) I have no idea...of
course without the loopback
bypass it may still not get you where you want to
go.

rick jones
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.