tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: localhost on Solaris

From: ury segal <ury_segal () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:10:51 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the answer!

There is nothing similar to ip_loopback_bypass
in Solaris.

When I run netstat -i, I do see packets that
are "passed through" the localhost interface.

Is there a real entity in the kernel which is the
loopback interface, may it be a driver (seems not to
be one), STREAMS module, anything?
Does it contain anything beyond statistics ?

--ury

--- rick jones <rick.jones2 () hp com> wrote:

The Solaris and HP-UX 11.X stacks are "cousins" so
this may help, it
may not...

Under HP-UX, if the traffic is to a machine-local IP
address, it gets
looped-back in IP and never gets through DLPI into a
driver and so
cannot be traced with tcpdump.  However, there is an
"unsupported" ndd
tunable called ip_loopback_bypass, which if set to 1
will no longer
loopback those local IPs in the IP module and the
last time I remember
trying (long ago) allowed tracing with tcpdump.

Now, I'm not sure if/how one wold be able to get
that to work with
"localhost" as long as "localhost" pointed to
127.0.0.1, but perhaps
some creative use of the route command could get
127.0.0.1 traffic
routed to a machine local IP address and then if
Solaris has something
akin to the ip_loopback_bypass (check ndd /dev/ip \?
output...

hth,

rick jones

PS - anyone tried taking a tcpdump trace where TCP
Multi-Data Transmit
was enbled on Solaris (9 or 10 IIRC)?

Wisdom teeth are impacted, people are affected by
the effects of events

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.

=====