tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: localhost on Solaris

From: rick jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:12:40 -0700

The Solaris and HP-UX 11.X stacks are "cousins" so this may help, it may not...

Under HP-UX, if the traffic is to a machine-local IP address, it gets looped-back in IP and never gets through DLPI into a driver and so cannot be traced with tcpdump. However, there is an "unsupported" ndd tunable called ip_loopback_bypass, which if set to 1 will no longer loopback those local IPs in the IP module and the last time I remember trying (long ago) allowed tracing with tcpdump.

Now, I'm not sure if/how one wold be able to get that to work with "localhost" as long as "localhost" pointed to 127.0.0.1, but perhaps some creative use of the route command could get 127.0.0.1 traffic routed to a machine local IP address and then if Solaris has something akin to the ip_loopback_bypass (check ndd /dev/ip \? output...

hth,

rick jones

PS - anyone tried taking a tcpdump trace where TCP Multi-Data Transmit was enbled on Solaris (9 or 10 IIRC)?

Wisdom teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.