tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: localhost on Solaris

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:02:58 -0700

ury segal wrote:
Thanks for the answer!

There is nothing similar to ip_loopback_bypass
in Solaris.

The be all and end all of Unix OSes has no such thing?!? Imagine :)

When I run netstat -i, I do see packets that
are "passed through" the localhost interface.

Is there a real entity in the kernel which is the
loopback interface, may it be a driver (seems not to
be one), STREAMS module, anything?
Does it contain anything beyond statistics ?

I believe that it is nothing more than a figment of the imagination of the IP code. There is no other "real" entity.

Now, what happens if one unplumbs lo0: and assigns 127.0.0.1 to a "real" interface (say as an alias) I have no idea...of course without the loopback bypass it may still not get you where you want to go.

rick jones
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.