tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: proposed new pcap format

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:58:14 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Guy Harris, sie wrote:

On Mar 24, 2004, at 7:08 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

okay, but there is more than just in/out.

enum pcap1_probe {
    INBOUND  =1,
    OUTBOUND =2,
    FORWARD  =3,
    PREENCAP =4,          /* IPsec ? */
    POSTDECAP=5,
};

....and perhaps, on at least some systems, for inbound packets, supply
"received unicast/received broadcast/received multicast/received
promiscuously" indications (Digital UNIX has broadcast, multicast, and
promiscuous bits - presumably if none are set it's received unicast or
it's outbound), IRIX has a "received promiscuously" flag, and Linux
supplies a unicast/broadcast/multicast/promiscuous/outgoing value.  We
might do that with "received unknown", "received unicast", "received
broadcast", "received multicast", "received promiscuously", and "sent"
flags (if none are set, the direction is unknown).

BSD also has M_BCAST and M_MCAST flags on mbufs.

Do I feel some desire for bpf.c to change, as well ?

Darren
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe