tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: proposed new pcap format

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ottawa on ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:03:53 -0500

"Jefferson" == Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov> writes:
    >> struct pcap1_info_container {
    >> bpf_u_int32 info_len;         /* in bytes */
    >> bpf_u_int32 info_type;        /* enum pcap1_info_types */

    Jefferson> That could be two int16s, couldn't it?

  You know what they say about premature optimization :-)
  type could be 16-bit.
  len, I'm hesistant. The high performance network people are presently
complaining about the 64k limit on IP packets...

    >> unsigned char info_data[0];
    >> };
    >> struct pcap1_info_timestamp {
    >> struct pcap1_info_container pic;
    >> bpf_int32      thiszone; /* gmt to local correction */

    Jefferson> I feel strongly that all pcap timestamps should be
    Jefferson> UTC. Think of it like UNIX file metadata; timestamps in
    Jefferson> inodes are UTC. Your local zone is an interpretion
    Jefferson> applied to those timestamps.

  okay.

struct pcap1_info_timestamp {
        struct pcap1_info_container pic;
        bpf_u_int32    nanoseconds;   /* 10^-9 of seconds */
        bpf_u_int32    seconds;       /* seconds since Unix epoch - GMT */
        bpf_u_int16    macroseconds;  /* 16 bits more of MSB of time */
        bpf_u_int16    sigfigs;       /* accuracy of timestamps - LSB bits */
};

    Jefferson> If this is meant to handle the "wall time" notion
    Jefferson> proposed a few messages back, I think that is just
    Jefferson> metadata and should go in a metadata packet. Maybe there
    Jefferson> should be some standard metadata types.

  okay, meta data type for WALLTIME.

    Jefferson> indicating the system's time error offset. Then programs
    Jefferson> that read it can adjust timestamps on the fly.

  okay, meta data for skew.
  Can you write a structure for that?

    Jefferson> Significant figures in what base? I wouldn't go there.

  base 2, I'd think.
  Hmm. I see the problem. Can someone provide a clear notion?
  Do we have to go to units of 1/(2^32) of a second instead of
1/(10^9) then?

- --
] mcr () xelerance com      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/ |device driver[
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe