tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: proposed new pcap format

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:42:16 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Guy Harris, sie wrote:

Are we sure that enough people will be asking for data types that we
can't just say "ask us for a type value, we'll give one to you"?  That
seems to have worked pretty well for DLT_ values so far.  If they
*truly* want it to be private, they can just ask for a number and we'll
give it to them, just as we give out private-use DLT_ values such as
the ones used by Cisco, Juniper, and IBM.

I suppose I'm not so much concerned about it being "private" as it
being unique.

Maybe a vendor field and vendor sub-type field would be useful ?
That'd give flexibility in an SNMP kind of way.

As well as it being unique, what I'd like is for it to such that a
vendor can register a "type" and then have a certain amount of freedom
to choose what to do with sub-types, not needing to come back each
time.

Darren
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe