Snort mailing list archives

Snort 3 Config File Question (3)

From: Jim Campbell <jim () w4bqp net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 11:37:25 -0400

I am embarrassed to come to come to the list with such a simple question but I really do need an answer.

I am running Snort in IPS/Inline mode. My systemD command line is as follows:

ExecStart=/opt/snort/bin/snort --daq afpacket -Q -c /opt/snort/etc/snort/snort.lua -R /opt/snort/etc/snort/snort3.rules -i enp1s0:enp4s0 -A unified2 -l /opt/snort/etc/snort

Each of the rules in snort3.rules begin with "alert".

The Snort 3 User Manual implies that if Snort is in inline mode, when a packet triggers an alert that packet is dropped. I need to be sure. Is there somewhere that I can query that will tell me if packets are being dropped and if so how many?

Thanks,

Jim Campbell

--
"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience;
we are spiritual beings having a human experience."