Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 3 Architecture

From: Russ via Snort-devel <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 13:40:16 -0400

Hey Simon,

Snort 3 currently has one thread per packet source, whether that be a network interface or pcap. You can configure that with -z or --max-packet-threads. All processing of a given packet is within the thread associated with its source. You can set CPU affinity for packet threads via the process module. The architecture will evolve over time to support hardware offload and elephant flows (too big for a single core).

Please keep us posted on your results or if you have any questions about tuning for comparison with Snort 2.

Thanks
Russ