Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 3 Config File Question (3)

From: Russ via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 12:04:06 -0400

Are you referring to Section 2.6 which says:

"action - tells Snort what to do when a rule "fires", ie when the
signature matches. In this case Snort will log the event. It can also
do thing like block the flow when running inline."

That is saying what the rule actions can do, not that alert = block. We can try to clarify there. Briefly:

alert - generate an event, no impact to traffic
drop - generate an event and discard this packet only
block - generate and event and discard this packet and all subsequent packets on the flow

Note that drop and block only impact traffic when inline. Otherwise such rules are not loaded or can be loaded to alert only with --treat-drop-as-alert.

As for what Snort is actually doing, you can check the shutdown stats, the perf_monitor logs, and query stats from the shell. Check the manual for details on those. For example, at shutdown you might see:

Packet Statistics
daq
                    pcaps: 1
                 received: 27
                 analyzed: 27
                    allow: 23
                blacklist: 4

That means 23 packets were allowed to pass and 4 were discarded (these are DAQ verdict counts).

Hope that helps.
Russ