Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 3 Config File Question (3)

From: Noah Dietrich <noah_dietrich () 86penny org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 18:19:04 +0200

You need to replace "alert" with "drop" as the first item (the action) in
your rule.
example:
*drop* icmp any any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP test detected"; GID:1;
sid:10000001; rev:001; classtype:icmp-event;)

Links:
Snort Rule Headers from the manual:
http://manual-snort-org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/node29.html#SECTION00421000000000000000
http://blog.snort.org/2015/07/snort-rule-changes.html

One thing you can do is convert your rules from "alert" to "drop" rules,
but then have snort alert on them instead of drop (for testing purposes)
using the *--treat-drop-as-alert*  flag when running snort.  When snort
drops a packet properly in inline mode, it will also write an event (if
barnyard2 i setup) with the action being drop.