Snort mailing list archives

Re: Persistent problems with rule updates for Registerd Users

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 19:03:59 -0500

The one missing piece I would like to see that wasn't addressed in this
discussion...

Subscriber rules are obviously current.  Registered rules are apparently
a 30-day delayed tarball of whatever was current 30-days ago.  This
makes perfect sense for NEW rules.  It does not make sense for UPDATED
rules.

If there is a revision update to an existing rule, it should be updated
in ALL the branches, not just the VRT one.  Currently the revision
updates are also delayed 30 days.

I suppose the same logic could be applied to the other peripheral files
discussed below... it would make sense to me that the only difference
between subscriber and registered access is the "new" rules.  Everything
else should be consistent (snort.conf, classification, reference, etc)
across the board.

I realize this is much more difficult that just freezing a few tarballs
and holding them for 30 days; you'd have to update the frozen copies
with changes to the files (other than the "new" rules).

Jeff