Snort mailing list archives

Re: Persistent problems with rule updates for Registerd Users

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 10:32:51 -0500

On Jan 4, 2013, at 12:40 AM, Michael Steele <michaels () winsnort com> wrote:

Also, when Snort 2.9.4.0 was released there was a new rule set added to the Subscribers group matching the new Snort
release, but not to the Registered Users group.

What file was added?  I don't remember adding anything specifically to that version.  I could be wrong here?

Shouldn’t that same file be added to the Registered Users group, removing the Subscribers set of rules, and replacing
those with the most current rules that the Registered Users are entitled to. Seems that downloading Snort 2.9.4.0
should be accompanied by the matching 2.9.4.0 rule set, no matter what group you’re in, and this way both groups are
assured to get all the current configurations for the new release, it would also be less confusing for new users
trying to figure out which rule set they need.

We stopped distributing the ruleset with the Snort tarball years ago.  Maybe there's some things we can do here in the
future to help get you running out of the box.

But we can't help maintain whatever distribution for WinIDS that you are doing for your customers.  We provide the
engine and the ruleset for free, we don't charge you a fee for repackaging it and selling it to your customers (if you
do sell it), so whatever maintenance you have to do for your end users is on you in that case.

I am more than willing to hear any new ideas regarding the situation.  But let's be constructive and not destructive.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT