Snort mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2012-5076 and CVE-2012-1723 Rules

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:14:20 -0500

On Nov 26, 2012, at 10:00 AM, "lists () packetmail net" <lists () packetmail net> wrote:
On 11/25/2012 07:34 PM, Joel Esler wrote:> I'll take a look and see what we can
do to improve any coverage we are missing,
blackhole, especially v2, is a pain.

Joel, on the ET side and based on my network analysis, I am seeing very good
methods for combating some of this.  I would like for us to work more on this,
any more news regarding a community focused ruleset without delay between
registered users and subscribers?

We cover blackholev2 in much the same way.  Eoin's rules started our coverage with bhekv2 and we've made modifications
along the way, and added a ton ourselves.  They have worked very well.  I watch exploit kits pretty regularly to make
sure we improve coverage for these.  I just wrote protection for 3 other exploit kits this weekend and they should be
shipped soon after testing.

As far as the community ruleset, the tl;dr is yes.

Longer:
We were going to get this done in Q2 of this year, but with the massive ClamAV transition that took place this was
placed on the back burner.  Now that we have recovered much of our cycles and reorganized the organization a bit to
deal with the changes, we are now moving forward on it again.  There was some legal license work to do with the legal
team that I had to get knocked out first, which involves writing provisions into the VRT license for the community
ruleset (and some other beneficial changes!) along with making it simpler to read.  I'm due to provide my followup
comments to the legal team this week about it, and then our DIE team can get working on the actual coding of the
ruleset.  The way we have decided to do it is beneficial for everyone.  Registered, Subscriber, OEM, etc.  It'll
involve a bit of coding, but it shouldn't be an issue.