Snort mailing list archives

Re: HELP ON SNORT

From: Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:17:27 -0600

This is a fantastic thread; I've really appreciated everyones responses.

Listen, if someone can figure out how to scale this DB scheme to that amount
of raw data and still build time based metrics.. You should be working for
the Google R&D team.. Because you obviously figured out and to do quantum
storage / processing.

You've hit a key point here that I want to delve into a bit.  The
current schema is built so that a lot of packet details are stored in
the database, such as TCP flags.  The vast majority of the time, the
analyst is not concerned with any of these things.  In fact, I'd wager
that the analyst is almost always more concerned with context
information, such as URL accessed or email subject line.

For that reason, I built ELSA and we use it as our IDS console, and we
process more than 1 million events per minute (with time-based
metrics!).  Since we can handle any amount of alerts and our searches
finish in milliseconds, we spend very little time tuning.  We only
parse out the basic Snort fields (msg, proto, IP's, ports,
classification, sid) for reporting, but we log every URL into the same
system.  That way when you do a search or drill-down, the URL shows up
next to the Snort alert.  To see the contents, we use StreamDB, which
hooks directly into ELSA and shows the entire conversation in
plain-text in a click with no waiting.

Yes, this is shamelessly plugging my projects, but I'm doing it here
to make some very important points.  The current stock schema:
 - Is designed for those not doing full packet capture.
 - Devotes many resources to details not typically useful in incident response.
 - Lacks any kind of flexibility.
 - Has no concept of workflow.
 - Requires table joins, which become performance bottlenecks.

The best possible console with the least amount of work would be to
have Snort log syslog to Splunk personal edition, and have the HTTP
log that Snort creates also log there.  Send whatever logs you want
there, it's all linear benefit.  If the personal edition becomes too
small, buy a license or download ELSA, which is faster but isn't as
shiny or as easy to install.  If you're just trying to see what alerts
you're getting and do ad-hoc reporting and alerting, there is
absolutely no better way than Splunk personal edition.

If you absolutely have to have the raw packet viewable right
underneath the text of the alert, then you are probably "advanced" and
you should really invest the time in installing Snorby via SecOnion,
because you're eventually going to want to use the other tools in
SecOnion.  If you're not "advanced," then you probably don't know what
those packet details mean anyway, but you'll probably know whether
you've got a real incident based on the URL involved, so why not focus
on getting that info as close to your alerts as possible?