Snort mailing list archives

Re: HELP ON SNORT

From: Scott Runnels <srunnels () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:38:19 -0500

Jeremy,

I just want to point out that Security Onion isn't designed to be run as a
live CD. It can be booted as a live CD for testing/exploration, but Doug
Burks designed it as a next->next->finish install process then a quick
setup process to get the analyst looking at alerts immediately as well as
give them a comprehensive suite of tools.  I have it running in production
on ESXi, bare metal installs, and various desktop VM solutions (VMWare
Fusion, VirtualBox, etc).

You and I have had this discussion to an extent at NovaHackers and it
sounds like I might have been unclear when I gave my presentation on it in
January (I was nervous, man!).  However, Doug is going to be at ICF and
presenting for the NovaHackers Shmoocon Epilogue and if you still think it
falls outside of what the DOD/FED will allow, I know he'd be interested to
hear what we can do to make sure it fits into that space.

v/r
Scott Runnels

p.s. See you Monday!