Snort mailing list archives

Re: HELP ON SNORT

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 08:42:18 -0500

On Jan 30, 2012, at 7:53 AM, Paul Halliday wrote:
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com> wrote:
On Jan 29, 2012, at 7:38 PM, Dustin Webber <dustin.webber () gmail com> wrote:

I have heard these concerns as well and it always ended up being someone who didn't tune their sensor and had 150k
events every 30 minutes.

Agreed!

So do we just shake our fingers at them and move on?

No.  It starts at my/our level.  We have to make the engine easier to use, simpler to tune, easier to understand.  That
has a lot of steps to it, everything from making detection simpler, more effective, and easier to write rules for (and
understand), to making memory management easier and making less needed configuration changes "out of the box".

Then it comes to the organization, on/off state, and clarity of the ruleset.  File-identify was the first of those
steps, so was the cleanup (I have a blog post about this upcoming), the next step that we're doing in that process will
take place over the next six months, and will fundamentally change how Snort tuning is done.  (More on this soon in a
blog post before we begin the process, and since it will affect EVERYONE, it will be posted on the blog and all our
mailing lists.)

Steps 4 and 5 of the ruleset changes (I'm planning to) happen later this year.  (2012 is going to be a big year for the
VRT ruleset.)

It involves coordination with open source products to make things easier to use and tune.  All things on my plate for
this year.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT