Snort mailing list archives

Re: What's up with Snort's license? (Answer rollup)

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:47:35 -0500

--On July 21, 2007 9:35:05 AM +1000 Matt Jonkman <jonkman () bleedingthreats net> wrote:

Thanks for the answers Marty. I hope you and SF considers answering
these questions BEFORE it becomes a crisis next time. Having these
regular communication problems and blackouts is very taxing on the
community's ability to stay together.

I've been watching this discussion closely. ISTM that every time Sourcefire/Marty does something some people immediately assume the worst and start crying "crisis". (Matt, you are a senior member of that group.) Given the past history of snort, Sourcefire and Marty, ISTM that Sourcefire/Marty should be given the benefit of the doubt in cases such as this. IOW, rather than screaming "license change! License change!" it would be a great deal more productive to simply ask for clarification. Nothing I have read (and I've read it all) remotely approaches the cries of dire disaster coming from some quarters.

One open question though: Are major code contributors going to be
reimbursed for the revenue made from their code under separate
commercial licenses in the 2.x branch?

This is such a ridiculous question that I'm stunned you would ask it. The GPL permits not only the use of open source code but also its sale in a derivative, commercial product. There's not a single word about reimbursement of the contributors of the open source code.

<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>
"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things."

Marty was taken to task for writing "It's Free as in "Free Speech", not Free as in "Free Money" people!" ISTM his language reflects the language of the preamble to the GPL license. Clearly Marty is more familiar with the GPL than some of his critics.

If it were going to be licensed
to someone under the GPLv2 (or 3) these contributors would not be
entitled to anything as I understand. But under some other license I
think the copyright owners must be compensated, no?

You understand wrong.  Here's what Marty wrote:

" By sending these changes to Sourcefire or one of the Sourcefire-moderated mailing lists or forums, you are granting to Sourcefire, Inc. the unlimited, perpetual, non-exclusive right to reuse, modify, and/or relicense the code."

Somehow, you (and several others) seem to have completely missed or deliberately ignored the "non" in "non-exclusive" use (after all, if we're going to impute negative motives to folks, let's not stop with Marty - those on the "other side" don't exactly have "clean hands" in this debate either - fair enough?). IOW, copyright holders of code (or rules or whatever else you want to assert is "contributing" to snort) STILL retain their copyright. All they are doing is granting Sourcefire the right in perpetuity to reuse, modify or relicense the code. Clearly this clause protects Sourcefire from vindictive or litigious copyright holders. It does *not* remove any existing rights from a copyright holder but does prevent them from changing the license terms after Sourcefire has made use of it.

I realize that won't be an issue in the 3.0 branch as it's all SF code.
But it seems fair that major contributors should be considered at least
in current agreements.

It doesn't seem fair at all to me. People who contribute to snort do not "deserve" to be compensated for income that Sourcefire generates from the sale of a *derivative* product that uses snort. Snort is still free. Snort is still open source. Nothing has changed in that regard, and no copyright holder has given up, lost or had stolen any of his or her rights to their contribution(s).

To be clear, I'm not one of those people. My contributions to date are
almost all in signatures. But it's a question worth asking.

I for one am getting quite irritated at the repeated attacks on Marty and Sourcefire. Marty's actions and decisions have been consistently pro-open source from the beginning of snort and remain so today. Now that he's actually making money from snort (by adding closed source added-value software to it in a package - something others complaining here are also doing) some seem to resent the change. Yet snort still remains open source. The community still contributes to snort, and the community still benefits from snort. No one (AFAIK) has to pay a dime for snort or for the rules (even though Sourcefire contributes most of the new code and does much of the rules-testing.)

From my viewpoint, what's changed is the attitudes of some in the
community, and at least *some* of them have interests other than those of us who simply use the product and are thankful to have a top quality IDS that we don't have to pay for.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/