Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IDS

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:39:03 +0000

--On 16 January 2005 08:36 -0500 John Hally <JHally () epnet com> wrote:

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with Cisco's IDS?  I'm
curious how Snort stacks up in strengths/weaknesses including
Sourcefire's commercial products.

When using CSIDS back in 2002, I found it was impossible to determine why signatures had been triggered. Further, it was hard to tune rules (other than by source/dest IP). Things may have improved since then, but I've not heard anything that indicates that this is the case.

Thanks in advance!

HTH,
Alex.