Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire Tactics - New Licensing

From: "Peter J Manis" <pmanis () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 02:06:30 -0500

Ok.  Before I get a billion replies bashing me.

1. I sent out my original email before Mary sent out a second email stating Snort will alwasy be free. 2. I felt skeptical about the Bleeding Snort digest email I got saying Sourcefire contacted Bleeding Snort about creating one source, which is my opinion and I am entitled to have it. A one stop shop is always nice in theory, but in practice, I believe it is a good thing to have many sources. 3. I paid out of my own pocket and did attend both the Sourcefire Snort IDS and Sourcefire Rules classes. I think that the extremely expensive prices for those classes that I paid should be plenty for me giving back to Marty and Sourcefire. I have the Sourcefire certificates to prove this, and im sure my name is in Sourcfire's files as well. 4. I applaud and am grateful for the effort Marty and Sourcefire have provided over the years. The comment about the opensource community being a large part of the success of Snort and Sourcefire is a true statement. It was also an echo from an email I recieved from the WinSnort mailing list. Eveyone has put time and effort into Snort. 5. My intention for speaking is just to point out the bads in what this licensing venture can create. I am neither trying to defame Sourcefire nor Marty. I think Marty is an individual to be envied and appreciated. However, people need to understand that Sourcefire in itself may or may not have a conflict of interest because it is indeed a firm trying to make a profit. What is in the best interest for Sourcefire may not necessarily be the best interest of the opensource community. And I say once again, I am NOT taking one side or the other, just pointing out possible problems. I appolige if I offended anyone in my previous email if the message in my previous email was a little strong.

Peter
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Schmehl" <pauls () utdallas edu>