Snort mailing list archives

Snort, MySql, Apache, & PHP Problem - Checked by Vexira -

From: "Scott Bounds" <scott.bounds () bwrpwa org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:10:00 -0600

Hello all.  I have been following Mr. Patrick Harpers guide on installation
of the above mentioned software packages.  Basically using ACID to monitor
your IDS through Snort, etc...  I have success up until the very last part.
I am to the section where you go to http://my.host.here/ACID and it takes me
to a page that says " The database snort@localhost is either complete or
invalid".  This is expected and shown in Mr. Harpers tutorial.  You are then
directed to click on "Setup"; I did.  Then you are supposed to click on the
button which creates the ACID tables in the snort database.  I did.  If you
watch the bottom of the screen, it says that it is transferring data to and
from your.host.here.  Then it says that when you now return to
my.host.here/ACID it will take you to a new page which is the actual
interface and gives you the hits, ip's, etc..  My problem is this: After
performing all of the above steps, when I return to my.host.here/ACID I get
taken right back to the same page that says the database is incomplete or
invalid.  Well, when you check the database, there are no new tables.  So it
is correct.  I have removed and reinstalled Snort, dropped the database and
recreated, and check access and permissions the best that I know how.  I am
a total noob at this so please bear with me.  Can anyone give me an idea
what could be causing this or has anyone else experienced this and what was
your solution?  This is on a operational mail server so I want to get it
right.  We have already been hacked once and I don't want to go through that
again.  Much thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Scott Bounds, BSEE
Benton/Washington Regional Public Water Authority
15531 Woods Lodge Road
Rogers, AR 72756
PH:  (479) 451-9516
FAX: (479) 451-9992